Securing Growth for Hardworking Australians in the Regions
Building growth in our regions remains a key focus of the Government so that the benefits of economic growth are shared across the country. It is vitally important that Australia’s regions are supported with modern infrastructure that makes a real difference to regional economies and creates jobs.
In a massive win for regional Australia, work on one of the largest investments ever seen in regional Australia, the Melbourne to Brisbane Inland Rail, will commence in 2017-18. The Coalition Government will provide an additional $8.4 billion equity investment to the Australian Rail Track Corporation to deliver Inland Rail.
The Regional Growth Fund will invest $472 million in regional infrastructure projects that back our regions’ plans to adapt to the changes taking place in the economy. This will include $200 million for a further round of the successful Building Better Regions Fund.
Backing Australian Skills for the Regions
We are growing our regional communities by boosting their skills base and supporting job creation.
- Investing $24 million in Rural and Regional Enterprise Scholarships to help regional students into higher education
- A new Skilling Australians Fund, funded by a foreign workers levy, to fund 300,000 Australians’ skills training
- Backing the small businesses that employ millions of hardworking Australians by extending the $20,000 instant asset write-off for another year
Securing Services for the Regions
- $9.1 million to provide regional Australians with better access to mental health services through the telehealth program
- Increased funding for local councils
- Exploring opportunities to decentralise Commonwealth agencies to broaden the range of skills and job opportunities in our regions
- Funding State and Territory projects